Saturday 16 June 2012

for the love of walking ...

Our very beautiful Labrador Tarka encourages me outside for a walk every day. When I say encourage, she makes herself as gently apparent as she can, always erring on the side of politeness, until the job is done.
I love walking with her. But I have recently decided to use my daily walks as a way of keeping properly fit. Further inspiration in the Telegraph today ... a great little booklet by fitness expert Joanna Hall called The Walking Diet. It seems as though my modern-day walking style leaves a lot to be desired and some small changes should reap big rewards for posture, fitness and calories used. Next stop the Cotswold Outdoor Company, where my feet received more attention than they have done in years. Measured, prodded, studied ... I left with a much better understanding of my own two feet, the mechanics of walking and running, and orders for two pairs of 'approach' shoes. I can't wait for them to arrive.
In the meantime, I'm off for a walk now with Tarka in my wellies. It's drizzling slightly but we don't mind. Just me, my dog and Mother Nature. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment